Question
Posted by: X-man | 2007/07/27

physiology

Good day Sir.I would like to know the effects of toxicants on cardiovascular function.I'm talking about alcohol, iron, nicotine, cocaine, benzene, ansthetics, and mercury.Thanks for the opportunity.Have nice day.

Dear X-man

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Alcohol (chronic use or abuse) can cause a cardio-myopathy (enlargement of the heart) and this in turn would cause poor heart function. I would be more concerned about the effect on the liver, as well as the pancreas.

Iron in itself has no effect on heart physiology but please note that a severe iron deficiency can cause severe anemia and this in turn will effect the heart negatively, due to the fact that the heart will have to work much harder to oxygenate tissue.

Nicotine, as well as cocaine, causes an increase in your heart rate, which in turn will cause cardiac-arythmias. Nicotine in its pure form is fatal. Cocaine abuse can also causes severe hypertension, which can cause a stroke.

Benzene (hydrocarbons) exposure can lead to chest pain, cough, dyspnea, syncope and fatal heart attacks.

There are to many different anaesthetic drugs to mention in this reply. Please be so kind as to advise if there is a specific one that you are referring to.

Mercury exposure predominately has an effect on the nervous system and gastro intestinal system. It can cause arythmia of the heart, as well as a heart attack.

I trust that the above information is of assistance.

Kind regards