Question
Posted by: unsure | 2005/07/27

Physician advises to start HIV meds and then say ok to stop.

I am HIV + and two months ago I came down with the shingles. My virial load went real high and my doctor told me that I should begin taking my meds, which are combivir and sustiva. I went to the Doc today and he tells me that I probably didn't need to start the meds because I am within the normal range, as far as my virial load is concerned. So, he tells me I can either stop taking them or if I want to I can continue. My delema is, I have been told by numerous people who have started the drugs, and also by physician, not to stop once I start. I am afraid that I will build an ammunity to them if I do stop and they wont work when I do need to take them. Any recommendation or input would be helpful.
thanks, unsure

Unsure, a good rule of thumb is to stay on them until your CD4 count has been high and your viral load low for about 6 months, but the best would be to discuss this with your specialist as he has all your relevant information. Good luck.