Question
Posted by: Kirst | 2006/11/01

Physical signs when baby dies in utero

Hi, I was wondering what the physical signs are if your baby dies in utero, I'm in my second trimester and I keep having this gut wrentching fear my baby will die without me knowing or feeling it. Everyone (including my doc) says your body will let you know, how??? what happens??? "your body will let u know" is too vague for me. Seeing that I haven't felt movement yet I really need reassurance at this stage. Pls help!

In most cases you would miscarry. Sometimes the baby dies and nothing happens. You do not necessarily feel this. It is a common fear in pregnant women but does not happen very often.

3
Posted by: lolo | 2006/11/02

As far as I know there are no signs, the best thing I suggest
you do regular check ups.speaking from experiece.

I wasnt aware that my baby is dead until I gave birth(full term)

Reply to lolo
Posted by: tammy | 2006/11/02

It really depends. My baby died when I was 9 weeks pergnant and I had no symptoms. Only a scan determined that there was no heart beat. If I hadn't had a scan, within weeks I would have started to bleed and cramp.

If youre worried, just pop in to your doctor for a scan for reassurance. Once you feel movement (after 20 weeks) it will be all the reassurance you need. Its a normal worry but I'm sure you have no need to worry once youre in your second trimester.

All the best
Tammy

Reply to tammy
Posted by: Lou | 2006/11/01

You must be going through hell. Try and be positive and if it helps, ask your gynae if you can go and see him more often so that he can reassure you that your baby is fine - he can do this by checking for the heartbeat, you dont have to have a scan everytime (may get expensive if you are going often).

You should start feeling movement anytime from 15 -20 weeks, it differs for some as weight and muscle tone etc plays a part. Try not to panic as its not good for you or your baby. If you have a good gynae, he will understand your paranoia and help you through it with care understanding and lots of checks to put your mind at rest!

Reply to Lou