Question
Posted by: Jaded | 2007/06/14

Physical pain

Hi CS

I was involved in a bad accident about exactly a year and a half ago. After numerous operations, physio, and working with a biokineticist (spelling?) at the gym. I STILL have so much pain. Voltaren injections are a every 2nd day thing and pain pills have become part of my life.
This is really really getting me down now. I used to be able to make peace with the fact that I cannot partake in any sports for a while......but, Doc, I cant even WALK and the pain starts. I wake up with it in the morning and take it with me to bed.

I'm telling you this, not because I'm feeling sorry for myself (well, in all honesty - i actually am !) but more because I believe you were involved in an accident and had complications.
How are you now?
Does the pain ever go away?
What do you do?
Do you live on painkillers?
Do you get frustrated / depressed / feelings of helplessness?

From my own experiences, I certainly do know what you have been going through. I don't like the idea of frequent Voltaren Injections --- its a drug you can easily take by mouth, so injections are not needed. And if one takes painkillers to the right timetable, knowing how long the pain relief will last, so you can take the next dose before the last one fully wears off, it takes less medicine to keep the pain away than it does to get rid of it it is allowed to become nasty before the medicine arrives.
For some of us, fortunately, the pain does indeed go away. Some of us, myself included have to adjust to living with pain that though it varies in extent, is there all day every day. They need to check whether you may have becom Depressed, which easily happens in circumstances like this, as Depression is a powerful amplifier of physical pain, and treating the dpression can help a lot to lesen the pain.
Yes, anyone with any sense gets frustrated, depressed, and feels helpless. But sensible ones don't ONLY feel such responses --- one works on changing what one can change, and accepting what one can't ; if you can't play sport for a time, you look for other activities or hobbies that can please and occupy you meantime. I find that keeping busy with my work makes a big difference --- the most difficult time was when I was unable to work.