Posted by: Wooly | 2004/12/08

Phobia of being touched; feel physical pain when touched

hi there;

i have been in the forensic unit of a police department. since i left i cannot stand being touched. when someone does touch me, it actually hurts, it feels like a needle being pushed into the part being touched.
this is influencing my relationship with my family as i was a person who used to touch and hug to express my feelings.
i am not sure whether this is a phychological or physical problem? but i can't think of anything being wrong physically therefor i hope you can assist me.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Hmmm, Wooly,
It's hard to say, from this distance. There could be physical, or psychological reasons for this unusual symptom, or both. What most puzzles me is why you seem to be saying that it started after you left the forensic unit. Was here any possibility in your job there of exposure to toxins or odd chicals or infections ? Was there something deeply psychologically upsetting in either what happened in the unit, or in the way you left it ?
Best to start with seeing a good GP for a thorough physical checkup, maybe a few tests ; then, if nothing physicial seems to turn up, get referred to a good local shrink for a further assessment, and advice based on that.
When anyone describes such a major symptom, and such a change in their nature, arising at a particular time, forensically we would look closely at happenings around the time of the onset of the symptoms, for a clue

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/12/08

Hi Wooly,

You may feel that physically there is nothing wrong with you, but I would suggest that it's best for you to get a professional opinion on that. Remember to tell your doctor what you feel & how you feel. From there I feel certain that you would be directed to the most appropriate person you would then need to consult with. Your doc would generally be your first line of assistance.

Know that CS will surely give you a better response, & if you feel there's anything more you would like to discuss then please feel free on posting it here.


Reply to Shaun

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.