Question
Posted by: Shakira | 2005/12/13

Phobia

I have a weird phobia and I don't think there's a name for it..yet.

I have a fear of antiques - personal stuff like antique purses, shoes, clothes, hats, etc., even furniture and very old houses. I just get weirded out by knowing that someone who is no longer here once wore/owned it.
CS, for interest sake, can shrinks heal phobias? I don't think a simple "face your fears" will cure this one, being surrounded by antiques will not solve anything! Why do people have phobias (abnormal fears) for certain objects/situations?
Anyone else here have a strange phobia?

Well, there is a listed fear of new things and change, called Neophobia. So this would have to be something like Senophobia, of iets. And yes, well-trained shrinks can be highly successful at healing phobias. Dare I say it yet again(!) but CBT is ideal for dealing with this. Often one can't find any clear reason why anyone has any particular phobia, but fortunately we don't need to know WHY, to be able to help you to clear it up.
All the other phobias described are more common and well-recognized.

6
Posted by: Lonestar | 2005/12/13

Hi there,

Always been afraid of the dark especially when there is a power failure, that awful silence and of course a newly developed one, powerlines, going underneath these huge powerlines freaks me out.

Reply to Lonestar
Posted by: twink | 2005/12/13

oh, and snakes. i cant even watch a programme on them, i have to lift my feet off the floor because i imagine that i can feel them on my feet and legs .... aarrrgggghhhh!! just thinking about it scares the s*ht out of me!

Reply to twink
Posted by: Sunshine | 2005/12/13

lol Twink!
Mine is social phobia. Really, I will do ANYTHING to avoid social situations. When I know someone its okay, but I cling onto them for life. I get dizzy, my throat goes dry, I get spasms all over my body when I have to face a crowd of people I dont know...

Reply to Sunshine
Posted by: twink | 2005/12/13

kay, i'm kinda embarrassed about mine ... but here goes.

if i'm in a crowded place, like a shopping centre, and someone is standing just a little too close to me, i get afraid to breathe - incase i breathe in all sorts of germs, viruses etc.

now i'm not saying that people are breathing all there germs on me, but if i'm standing in a queue or something and a person behind me coughs, i'm too scared to breathe and i instantly feel sick.

sometimes without realising it, i hold my breath...

do you think that could be a phobia? the fear of breathing in someone elses germs?

Reply to twink
Posted by: Tammy | 2005/12/13

Sharks, sharks and sharks! Jaws ruined it for me! Those things look demonic, those eyes are so cold and expressionless. I never go swimming in the sea..

Reply to Tammy
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/13

Nah, I have a very common one. Closed spaces. Claustrophobia! It isn't bad, though. I can handle it. My biggest fear, not phobia, is drowning. Wonder why? 'Cos I can swim quite well.

Cannot relate to your "old stuff" phobia. Is this a fear of old people as well??? :-)

Reply to Frusty