Question
Posted by: Paranoid | 2004/11/09

Phobia

I have an unrealistic fear of the dark. I know where it started in my childhood years, but can not seem to get over it. Been to a therapist, but no luck.

Please, I am so afraid, it freaks me out...

Sorry to hear that the first therapist you saw failed to deal with this effectively, as this shouldn't be difficult. Phobic Anxiety responds well both to medications ( such as the SSRI group of antidepressants ) and to counselling / therapy of the CBT format. The old-fashioned counselling that digs back into the past is almost useless, and discovering when or where such a phobia began is of actually very little value in getting rid of it, a you have discovered. Don't give up, buit go to see a much more up-to-date local shrink for re-assessment of your condition, and advice on your best treatment options. Best of all, usually, would be a combination of medication and CBT counselling. You can relatively soon become free from this unpleasant fear.

1
Posted by: Paranoid 2 | 2004/11/09

I'm the same, except I have no idea why I'm so scared of the dark! I'd love to see what CS says about this.

Reply to Paranoid 2