Question
Posted by: Drake | 2007/07/23

PHLEGM

Hi Doc- I have a question regarding persistant phlegm that ive had for the past 6 months. Its more prevalent in the mornings when i wake up, its like my chest is filled with mucus that i cant seem to cough out even if i take Flemeze. The phlegm or whatever it is just doesnt come out and it just sits there. I end up coughing and gagging for a few seconds and feel sick. Ive been to the Doc and he put me on the Nebulizer but that also doesnt work. What is the cause of this and how do I treat it? By the way im also a smoker.

Dear Drake

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Smoking can be the number one and only cause of your symptoms. Please stop smoking and remember that a persistant cough, after quitting, can occur for up to two months. I would however, suggest that you have a chest x-ray done, in order to eliminate underlying pathology.

Kind regards