Question
Posted by: zee | 2007/03/05

Phedra cut and lactating

I still breastfeeding my 9 month old daughter and will be going on an eating plan and would like to take phedra cut. I've read the container and they advise against using it when lactating but on the Phedra Cut - stimulant free (day and night) it does not stipulate this. Is it safe to take? Is there another alternative to the phedra cut.

Hi Zee

I would not suggest it, whether or not it is stated on the bottle or not. The thing that you should know about supplements is that they are notoriously under-tested, and so there is very little evidence that suggests that they are safe or not. And so just making the claim that they should be avoided is simply a clause to prevent them from running into problems. Because the reality is that even the creators of the product don't know what the possible side effects may be, for either you or the baby. For example, did you know that phedra containing products were implicated in a few deaths during exercise recently? Yet it stays on the market, because the supplement industry is not the same as medicines - there is no accountability and no measured way of assessing the risks. So the blunt answer is don't take chances, it's not worth it.