Question
Posted by: minime | 2004/09/20

phantom pregnancy

hi all

thanks for the reply to my previous posting....

does anyone know anything about phantom pregnancy. i hear that it has all the signs of pregnancy except that there is no baby...
what is the chances if it happening to someone and what leads to a phantom pregnancy.......
most of the months i get very high expectations and i afraid that i might end up with one because sometimes i am so dissapointed then i'm sure this will be the month and then my periods come....

please shed some light on the topic

Phantom pregnancy is as you have described and happens in patients that want to be pregnant.
You are aware of the condition and would obviously consult a gynae early to confirm a pregnancy if you miss your period.

3
Posted by: Nicki | 2004/09/21

Very interesting indeed, never thought of calling it that. It seems to be common amonst all ttc ladies...we focus on our goal so much that we imagine most symptoms. More so, because we become so aware of every feeling and pain in our bodies that we might not have given attention to before.

If the HPT test would also reflect positive....not sure....then you have to get worried. Maybe you are fantasizing too much by then.

Reply to Nicki
Posted by: Jane1 | 2004/09/21

Yes, this phantom pregnancy thing is very interesting. Obviously your hormones would also play a part....does this mean that a pregnancy test would also be positive, I wonder?

Reply to Jane1
Posted by: Shirls | 2004/09/20

My understanding of a phantom pregnancy is that it a kind of mental instability where a person wants to be pregnant so badly that they start to imagine that they actually are and then start to experience all the symptoms of pregnancy, so much so that even their periods go away.

Fortunately for some of us and i am sure you as well, we start to believe that we might be pregnant but as soon as we see AF we get back to reality once again and realise that we are not pregnant.

I am sure that you do not need to worry about having a phantom pregnanct because you are still in touch with reality. Good luck with ttc and hope your day comes soon - same for me and other ttc ladies out there.

Reply to Shirls