Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2006/07/24

Pet Rat with eye infection

Hi, I have a pet rat "Sparky" about a year old, who has developed a rash around one eye, it seems to be itchy as he scratches , what can I use to clear it up.
Someone told me that I should not use wooden shavings in his cage, as he could develope and allergy to it! What should I use in his cage.

Yes it can be an allergy but could also be as a result of an eye problem. If the eye worries an enimal thay can scratch it and that then makes the area dry and scaly in appearance. Let your vet chek the eye out. It may also be due to mange.