Question
Posted by: sarah | 2007/12/24

pet pig not liking new puppy

i got a female puppy. i have a pet pig, 1 year old! shes very well behaved and gentle so i thought it wouldnt be a be problem for her to meet the puppy! but when i showed her, she started to shake. she looked very scared of it! and she went for the puppy and ran away! (the puppy is very chilled and not worried about her) so i went to comfort my pig but she wouldnt let me near her because i had the puppy smell on my hand!
later i tried again and the pig nearly bit me....going for the puppy!

i dont know what to do to get her use to the puppy. im abit worried! will my pig ever get use t her? and how can i help when the pig might attack her!

It may take some time to get adjusted to each other. Please remember though that pigs can inflict fatal bites to other animals. Pigs and dogs often live contented side-by-side but be careful introducing them.

1
Posted by: Jess | 2007/12/28

A probable reason may be due to the pigs history- maybe she had a bad experience with dogs before. Pigs do get scared for very loud noises, like barking for example. So before you got her, if she had been exposed to dogs before, she would have associated them with loud noises which she doesnt like.
Or maybe its plain jealousy. It happens all the time when a new pet is introduced into the family. Just keep on reassuring the pig that there is no favoritism. Keep on trying to get them used to each other. It may take time.

Reply to Jess