Question
Posted by: Nicki | 2004/01/26

Pet Dog

I really want to get a small pet dog, like a bulldog or pug. I really love dogs and have had one all my life. I am now living alone so if i do get a pet the dog will be on its own during the day. I do have a garden. What sort of dog is recommended.

Hi Nicki
Pugs and bulldogs do make good pets and can both cope with small gardens and a not too active lifestyle. However being alone all day may be a problem for any dog as they are social animals and need company at least most of the day. You may consider getting a cat instead or getting a cat to keep it company. Getting a puppy and a kitten together usually works well and they often become best of friends. If you don't like the cat idea then you will have to make a plan to find company for your dog, especially if it's a puppy or young dog. For example you could ask a neighbour or friend to look after it during the day - one who is home most of the day or has a suitable dog for company. Otherwise employing a char or gardener may work, as long as he/she likes dogs. Adopting an older dog that is used to being alone is another option. You will still need to give it access to the house (through a doggydoor) if possible, give it toys to keep it busy and leave the radio or TV on.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Carol | 2004/01/28

Have you considered a rescue ?? that way you wont have a pup alone all day ... an older bulldog for example work work like a charm in your sitaution.

I dont know enough about pugs to comment .... but bulldogs are lovely if you make sure you have enough shade .....

Reply to Carol