Question
Posted by: Karen | 2004/03/11

Perspiring<br>

I perspire alot under my armpits! I've tried using various roll ons etc even using nothing at all. Its come to a point I don't want to stand to close to people or even moving my arms aound too much. I'm very self conscious of myself/this problem. Is there medication that can help for this or keep me dry and not smelly!!!!!
Please not I also have wet/sweaty palms/hands

Karen, it sounds like you might be suffering from hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis is excessive perspiration due to overactivity of the sweat glands. It may be a contributory factor in various skin diseases (fungal or pyogenic infections; contact dermatitis). Generalized hyperhidrosis frequently accompanies fever. An endocrine dysfunction (eg, hyperthyroidism) or, occasionally, a CNS disorder may also cause generalized sweating. Localized hyperhidrosis usually occurs in otherwise healthy persons. It usually is confined to the palms, soles, axillae, inframammary regions, or groin. Excessive sweating of the palms and soles may be psychogenic.
In hyperhidrosis, the skin in affected areas is often pink or bluish white. In severe cases, the skin, especially on the feet, may be macerated,fissured, and scaling.
Treatment
For generalized hyperhidrosis, the underlying systemic disease must be treated, yet the hyperhidrosis may be refractory. Systemic anticholinergic drugs have only a temporary effect, and side effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, difficulty with urination) are problematic. For localized hyperhidrosis, a 20 to 25% solution of aluminium chloride hexahydrate in absolute ethyl alcohol applied at night to the dried axillae, palms, or soles and covered tightly with a thin polyethylene film is usually effective. In the morning, the polyethylene film is removed and the area is washed free of salt. Two applications usually protect the area for 1 wk. If the aluminum chloride under occlusion is irritating, it should be tried without occlusion. This solution should not be applied to inflamed, broken, wet, or recently shaved skin. In some patients, tap-water iontophoresis may be effective. A 5% solution of methenamine (available in some countries) in water may also be effective. Topical solutions containing glutaraldehyde or formaldehyde may be effective but can be irritating. If the anhydrous aluminium chloride treatment fails, extreme axillary hyperhidrosis may be relieved by surgically excising the concentrated group of glands in the axillary vault or injecting the area with Botox®. An operation called a sympathectomy can also be done where the nerve supply to the offending glands is cut off and keeps them from secreting any sweat. This operation is not possible for excessive sweating of the head.
Good luck and if you have more questions, please post them as a new question or I won’t get them.

3
Posted by: Hayley | 2006/04/21

For many years I suffered with hyperhydrosis. I had a sympothectomy 2 years ago which completely stopped my hands from sweating. However my feet still sweat to the point that I cannot wear sandals as they sweat right off the shoe and I land up with dirty feet.
I've tried Driclor, foot powders, soaks but all did not work.
Please can you suggest what I can try next. I am not averse to another surgical procedure. I have tried to find out more about botox, but I do not know of any medical centres etc that do botox in the durban area.
Many thanks

Hayley

Reply to Hayley
Posted by: gbm16021982 | 2006/02/21

I am have a bad case of Hyper Hidrosis all over my body and my physiotherapist says that it can be treated with electrodes, passing a current through the body, but there is a solution or cream that is aqueous base that needs to be made up by a pharmacist. nobody seems to know what this is could you please find out more information for me about this. Thanks. Gavin Meltz

Reply to gbm16021982
Posted by: ORD | 2005/08/24

Perspiring/hyperhidrosis and doctors to see regarding this problem

Reply to ORD