Question
Posted by: Paula | 2008/01/11

Personal Training

Hi - I have had bad experiences with both Virgin Active personal trainers (2 very bad ones - 1 clueless, and 1 hopped up on steroids who refused to do cardio with me), and a private personal trainer (more concerned about his budding tv career than training me). I can no longer afford to throw money away. But I need a personal trainer. I can't do it on my own. I need someone who will make me do the cardio - no matter how much I whine and tell them I hate them...

I live in Joburg. Is there an organisation you can recommend? One that won't rip me off?

Also - I sometimes get a pins and needles type sensation in my feet when I do cardio. I assume it has something to do with blood constriction - but I've changed my shoes twice and no change. It only happens when I exercise.

Hi Paula

Sorry about your bad experiences. Unfortunately, it's difficult to regulate the industry tightly and the result is that you get some very dodgy people attracted to it. It does, unfortunately, give personal trainers a bit of a bad rep, and makes it difficult to know where to go for help.

I would say that apart from a personal trainer, your best bet for motivation is a friend who will do it with you, train with you and keep you motivated purely by being there. I appreciate that you want a "supervisor/training" looking over you, but don't write off your own chances too quickly.

As for a personal trainer, the best thing is to find a contact through personal word of mouth. In otherwords, you need to speak to people. I realise that sounds like a sell-out, but your experiences demonstrate that qualifications and even employment (doubtless both had good qualifications, enough to get hired at the biggest chain in SA, anyway) are no guarantee of success or quality.

So instead, and because the industry is so massively unregulated, you need to probably find the best guy by talking to people in the gym - these guys develop reputations very quickly and other's experiences will be the best guide for you!