Question
Posted by: M | 2008/01/17

Personal trainer

Hi DOc, wat is die verskil tussen 'n Boikenetikus en en Personal trainer? Ek is Morbid Obese en die Dr het my na 'n Biokanetikus verwys, maar ek wonder of ek nie die ander opsie moes vat nie.

hi M

I always get into trouble for this one - A biokineticist is a university-qualified scientist, who is trained to treat sports injuries and use exercise as a means to improve people's health. A big part of what a biokineticist does is to learn about obesity and exercise and how to contribute to the exercise part of a weight loss plan.

A personal trainer is qualified through a numbe rof different bodies, who offer specialised courses on exercise. They do a little bit on injury, and on weight and health related issues, but generally, are equipped to help with the training programmes of gym-goers.

I believe that your doctor was right - you need to see a biokineticist, because they have four years of training (rather than 1 or 2 for many personal trainers) and also have a more specialised appreciation for the issues facing you. So that is definitely the best option.