Question
Posted by: Greg | 2007/05/24

Personal trainer?

Was just wanting to find out if I was wanting to get someone to help me achieve my weight loss and muscle gain goals who the best kind of person would be the best to contact ie a personal trainer or biokineticist or someone else.

Most of the personal trainers at the gyms certainly don't practice what they preach and I am wanting to find someone who knows what it takes for example to get a six pack not someone that has read in a book how to do it??

I live in Durban and need a point in the right direction as to who the best person to speak to would be??

Thanks for all you help
Greg

Hi Greg

Depends on your situation - if you are at a gym already, then you have access to any one of these people. And if I may caution against judging a person's ability by their appearance - just because the trainer does not have the six pack you are looking for does not mean that they can't help you achieve it. In fact, they may be even better to do it. Some of the best coaches and trainers I know are the ones who look least like it. I can see the rationale behind wanting to train with someone who clearly has achieved, but sometimes they are the worst teachers, not the best. So just be open to the possibility that they best trainer for you might not look like a professional athlete. I agree though that reading it in a book is not the way to go, and so that means that the criteria you should be looking for is experience in working with clients in similar areas to you. In otherwords, a newly qualified trainer with a week of experience may not be as ideal as someone with three or four years and knowledge that has been shaped through practice on others. then again, perhaps it's the young, hungry person you want most. Point is, there's no guarantee that there's one criteria that gives you the best of the best. Therefore, as for who to see, my advice is see a bio first, because they generally undergo more stringent training requirements in the form of years of training, and have a deeper theoretical basis, but don't preclude a personal trainer who has clearly succeeded in getting clients to achieve - how do you know this? Ask around at a gym and you'll see soon enough who has a reputation that is earned.