Question
Posted by: molly | 2007/06/16

persistent worsening rash

My dr gave me an antibiotic called dalacin T and after i took for a few days, i broke out in a terrible rash like hives...it has only worsened and i cannot stand it any more...my whole body is covered in it. i have been given IV cortisone and oral prednisone, as well as anti histamines...surely by now it shud have gone away? what else could it be and why am i not responding to the treatment...it has been a week since we discontinued the medication...please please help quickly!
thanks
Molly

Dear Molly
these things can take a while to subside as it is an inflammation in the skin. Hives are 99% of the time due to an allergy. Cortisone works very well but takes a few days to "kick" in. Try Caladryl lotion on the skin for relief from the itching.