Question
Posted by: mary | 2008/01/05

persistent stuff on throat

dear Gyneadoc

i performed oral sex on a man without a condom and 2 days later had a very sore throat. went on antibiotics, it helped but a whitish (sometimes little bit brownish) substance re-occured on my tongue, thicker on the back of my tongue. I have been to the gynae who didn't recognise it as anything and tested for a few things but came back negative. So i have since been to the doctor who has twice put me on antibiotics (this time for 5 days)... but still it persists. could you tell me if there are are many not-so-common stds? I am very scared this might be permanent. help?? i don't know what else to do...

thanx
Mary

I would suggest that you have a throat swab done. It sounds like thrush, but any infections should show up on a swab.