Posted by: Suz | 2008/06/05

persistent right abdominal pain

I have a reasonably persistent stitch-like pain in my mid to upper right abdomen. It seems to be reasonably independent of what I eat, although I have been trying to eliminate various things like dairy with poor results. At times it is very sore and keeps me awake, at other times it is only noticeable if I press on the area. How to get this diagnosed? My GP hasn't a clue and all he can suggest is a colonoscopy but I don't want invasive procecures unless it is absolutely necessary! I also recently seem to have floaty bits in my urine and there are floaty white spots in the toilet after a bowel movement. Could this be appendix ... worms ... kidney ... ovary ... or what?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Suz
The causes of pain in this area could be gallstones, gallbladder infection, kidney stones, kidney infection, liver problems, peptic ulcers/gastritis. I would begin with a plain Abdominal x/ray - on this you can see most stones as well as constipated colon or colon dilatation. Then a sonar, which would exclude gallbladder problems, liver cysts and kidney abnormalities. If this is normal, I would consider doing a gastroscopy to see if there are any problems in the stomach. Lastly I would consider doing a colonoscopy. Other tests I would do is a urine microsopy, liverfunction tests, amilase, and fullbloodcount/CPR.
It is a bit like building a puzzle - you have to start somewhere until you can see a picture!
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Corlene | 2009/03/01

I am actually looking for a picture of the colon. there is a part of the colon that looks like it runs from the top to the botom of your stomach on your right side i think that is my problem. but what can be wrong with it. I have pain on my right side and it hurts when i inhale sometimes the pain goes to the back and feels as if it could be my lungs. I am VERY!! constipated.

Reply to Corlene
Posted by: EG | 2009/02/26

Dear Doc, for the past 3 days I have had a " stitch"  kind of pain just under my ribs in the left upper abdomen. It' s not too bad during the day but at night in bed it is quite uncomfortable and wakes me up sometimes when I move. When this happens it feels like something is ' stretching'  and I have to move again to get relief. I have no other symptoms and bowel movements are normal. I can' t feel any lumps or bumps, but I am quite overweight so not sure whether there is anything under there! Do I need to see a dr? Hope you can help.

Reply to EG

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.