Question
Posted by: NALLINI | 2007/12/19

PERSISTENT COUGH

I am female 30yrs. I do not ahve asthma. However, I have developed a persistent cough which does not seem to be responding to the cough mixtures. I have been to the Doctor, who has confirmed that my chest is clear. The X-ray has confirmed this as well. I feel that my chest has phlegm, although the Doctor says its clear. My cough starts with an irritation in the throat and continues to persist throughout the day. It is more persistent at night. Kindly advise me what should I do, as this cough is really irritating me.

Dear Nallini
this could be due to a post nasal drip or due to heartburn. If you feel that you are swallowing thickish phlegm, try an antihistamine like Allergex every 8 hours. If you have burning on the pit of your stomach or pain after eating or a feeling of acid pushing up , try gaviscon after eating.
dr Bets