Question
Posted by: JC | 2005/07/20

Persistent cough

Dear Doc
I have been coughing for longer than a month now. I did not really have a cold or flu, but mostly coughing. It seems to be an allergic cough. I went to see the GP, at first laryngitis was diagnosed because of the severe coughing. I had some antibiotics, but had to go back to the GP as this did not do anything to relief the cough. It feels that it is mostly caused by irritation in my airways - sometimes it feels like tiny fingers are tickling my airways and I have to cough to get rid of it. I have some phlegm (post-nasal) which may also make it worse. It is especially bad when I get cold, move from one room to another, and very bad at night, during the night and early morning. My GP diagnosed me with have bronchospasm and prescribed an asthavent pump and prednisone 5mg.He mentioned that this might either stop the cough or make it worse. I am now on day 2 of this treatment, but had my worst night of coughing last night. Any advice?
thank you
Kind regards
JC

JC, I don’t really know how it can make the coughing worse if it isn’t an infection. Did your doctor take a chest x-ray? Have you tried taking a cough suppressant like Silomat®? You didn’t mention the dosage of the prednisone, but you can easily take six 5mg tablets at about 15h00 to try and take care of the coughing at night. Good luck.