Our expert says:
Chest problems need to be treated by the professionals. It can be anything from poor elasticity to an infection to asthma to dryness or mucous production due to many reasons. Please do take the time to see a homeopath in your area.
From our side we can recommend the following supportive remedies that can be used with the treatment from the homeopath or even from the doctor:
Cough Formula from A Vogel
Drosinula Syrup to use as an expectorant and it calms the irritation in the back of the throat
Echinaforce to build the body's resistance to infections and to treat any form of infection
Po Ho Oil to steam with or to nebulise with or to even gargle with if it is due to post nasal drip etc
Urticalcin organic calcium as a lack of calcium will lead to easier upper respiratory infections and problems.
Because of the cancer, it is advisable to use Bio-Strath on a daily basis please to help protect the body.
ASTHMA – BRONCHIAL
Difficult breathing. The airflow is restricted due to an inflammatory condition of the airways with increased production of mucous. The asthmatic finds it difficult to expel the breath. Asthma can be put into three categories:
It is necessary to have a proper diagnoses to determine the root cause of asthma for effective treatment to make a difference.
Do you suffer from?
• Difficult breathing
• Sensation of choking
• Difficulty in exhaling breath
• Excessive mucous
• Rattling sound in lungs
A Vogel’s Asthma Formula, homoeopathic drops, are formulated to assist with the sensation of a tight chest which is preventing proper breathing, by acting as a bronchial dilator and to allow the mucous production to reduce. Asthma Formula can be used long-term to strengthen the lungs and respiratory system. It can be used in conjunction with conventional asthma treatment by all age groups.
A Vogel’s Echinaforce herbal drops will assist the body to reduce the inflammation which is present in asthmatic lungs. Echinaforce will also help to build the body’s defence mechanism to prevent secondary infections to the respiratory system during and after an asthma attack.
A Vogel’s Urticalcin tablets is essential as part of the restorative cycle to strengthen the lungs. This biological plant calcium is readily absorbed into the body cells, strengthening and removing excess acidity in the process.
Bio-Strath Herbal Yeast Elixir is a valuable adjuvant in the treatment of asthma. Bio-Strath has been shown to improve the immune system with regular use. Many asthmatic persons have compromised immune systems due to years and years of using chemical drugs and eating denatured foods. Bio-Strath can accelerate the healing of the lungs, mucous membranes and the immune system. Bio-Strath has also been clinically proven to assist with the recovery from anxiety disorders, which is also associated with nervous asthma.
A Vogel’s Circulation Formula would be very useful to help with cardiac asthma. This formula can strengthen the heart muscle and allow improved arterial flow of blood from the heart and lungs. Circulation Formula can safely be used with chemical drugs.
A Vogel’s Boldocynara liver drops are often useful to clear the liver of accumulated toxicity if the asthmatic patient has been indulging in fast foods, sugar, coffee or alcohol for a while. It is quite amazing to witness the effect which liver toxicity has on lung disorders.
Some Advise from Dr Vogel
Asthma: Paroxysms of difficult breathing are one of the many signs of asthma. It is important to know that there are three different kinds of this disease, because if we want to select the correct method of treatment we must differentiate between nervous asthma, bronchial asthma and cardiac asthma. The symptoms must be carefully analysed and considered before carrying out the appropriate treatment.
Nervous Asthma: If your nervous system is very delicate, with a tendency to tension, and you suffer from asthma, it may well be that the cause is your weak nerves. In this case it will be clear that in order to cure this form of asthma it will first be necessary to treat the nerves.
Bronchial Asthma: Bronchial asthma is different from nervous asthma in that it is mainly triggered by certain climatic conditions. A change in environment generally brings about the desired cure. Living by the sea, where the air contains iodine, usually has a positive effect and asthma attacks will often disappear. High altitude often proves to be equally beneficial. An elevation of 900m generally suffices, although sometimes an elevation of 1000 to 1400m may be necessary to overcome the problem. The third alternative is the hot, dry air of the desert, which in many cases has helped to relieve asthmatic discomfort.
It is also possible that the spasms are caused by pollen in the air. This ‘seasonal asthma’ is similar to hayfever, which also results from sensitivity to pollen, an allergic reaction. If your domestic situation permits you to move to a different climatic zone you should do so, since a change of climate, together with the appropriate natural remedies, can lead to an eventual cure of bronchial asthma. Although a patient may be able to find suitable employment in an area where the climate would be more suitable, he may find it difficult to uproot himself from familiar surroundings and leave relatives and friends for a strange place, or his own family may be reluctant to move. It would, however, be a great pity if the patient could not receive the necessary support to move to a climate where he would find relief from his ailment.
Once a person has moved, if the attacks do not recur after a year or two, he can then consider moving back to his former home without misgivings. As a rule, once the asthma has been cured it is not likely to return if the person decides to live again in the area where it first occurred. Young asthmatics, especially, should be given this opportunity, since it can make a significant improvement to their well-being.
If, however, the bronchial asthma is a result of an old, improperly treated lung condition, it will be more difficult to obtain a successful cure. This is yet another reason why chronic conditions of the respiratory organs should be avoided at all costs. Negligence and indifference are dangerous. Such illnesses should be treated the moment they first arise and the treatment continued until a complete cure has been achieved, or else they may lead to bronchial asthma that is extremely difficult to cure.
Treatment with medicines and physical therapy
Drugs used in the treatment of bronchial asthma are mainly anti-spasmodics. It is interesting to note that a patient who has been promised a cure does indeed feel better and remains free from attacks for quite some time after a course of simple novocaine injections. This goes to show that the patient’s condition can be favourably influenced by the skilful use of psychotherapy. Incidentally, homoeopathic formic acid can be used instead of novocaine. As an alternative, give some other neurotherapeutic treatment. Strong asthma tablets can bring about the desired relief in an emergency, but their long-term use is not recommended. These tablets contain ephedrine plus atropine, or an extract from thorn applies, as well as other potent ingredients. While the body may react favourably to these strong medicines, a complete cure is not obtained and, what is worse, the patient also runs the risk of becoming dependent on these drugs. That is why homoeopathic remedies are to be preferred.
Among the herbal remedies, a preparation containing an extract from Petasites officinalis (butterbur) has proved effective. It can be taken in the form of drops or Petadolor tablets. This herbal antispasmodic is most reliable and, if administered over a long period of time, often give the most amazing positive results without any side effects at all. Drosinula Cough Syrup and Kali iod. 4x have also proved their worth in cases of bronchial asthma, congestion of the lungs and as antispasmodic remedies. In addition to these remedies and positive psychological orientation, physical therapy has its place in the treatment of asthma. Acupuncture has also been reported as beneficial in cases of asthma, provided that the practitioner is highly skilled in performing this intricate form of treatment.
Even though cardiac asthma has the same main characteristics as bronchial asthma, no abnormalities of the bronchial passages can be detected. Cardiac asthma is the result of a weak heart. If the left half of the heart is affected, this means an accumulation of blood in the lung. Should the right half be affected, the result is poor blood circulation in the lungs, which in turn causes a decrease in the exchange of gases.
The face of a person suffering from cardiac asthma has a bluish tinge, and breathing is difficult when engaging in the slightest physical activity. As soon as the problem has been diagnosed, treatment with cardiac remedies and medicines that influence the vascular system should begin. Crataegus Oxy is most beneficial as it stimulates the circulation when taken with a calcium preparation such as Urticalcin, promoting recovery. It is advisable to diagnose the cause of the disease and then proceed to treat each patient according to his medical requirements as well as applying the appropriate form of physical therapy.
Important factors in the treatment of pulmonary diseases
It is strange that orthodox medicine still does not pay enough attention to the basic healing factors in the treatment of lung patients. Much can be achieved by rest, light, air and sun, and their value has been proved beyond doubt. The words, “Lift up your eyes to the mountains whence your help comes” are inscribed over the entrance of a sanatorium in Arosa, Switzerland. They are an honest admission by orthodox medicine that it is primarily the air – mountain air in particular – which provides a cure for lung diseases.
Another factor must not be forgotten either, and that is nutritional therapy. The body must be supplied with the substances it lacks before it can attempt regeneration. First on the list are foods rich in calcium and vitamins – these are indispensable. Raw, freshly pressed carrot juice or raw, finely grated carrots, the freshly pressed juice of grapes, oranges and grapefruit, and other wholesome juices, should be taken slowly in little sips and well insalivated. If you observe this advice, the fruit acid will cause no unpleasant gastric disturbance. Plenty of fresh raw vegetables should be served daily. Always dress salads with lemon juice, never with vinegar. The intake of protein foods must be reduced. On the other hand, natural culinary herbs that stimulate the appetite are recommended. An easily assimilated calcium preparation is essential. I have always seen excellent results when patients have taken the calcium complex Urticalcin. Do not forget cod-liver oil or cod-liver oil emulsions; these are of great benefit and to be recommended if the patient can take them.
Furthermore, it is of great importance to influence the patient psychologically. The glandular functions must be in good order, and this depends a great deal on his state of mind.
It is also important to stimulate the skin. Give the body a daily brush massage and afterwards apply a good skin oil containing natural herbal ingredients that stimulate the function of the skin.
That good bowel movement is necessary should go without saying. Indeed, proper functioning of the bowels and the kidneys is essential for the cure of practically any disease.
Lung patients who take this simple advice to heart will benefit greatly from their rest cures and will surprise their doctors by their speedy recovery. Always remember that it is important to try and rectify deficiencies and weaknesses anywhere in the body and not just one organ. It is then understandable why recovery is faster than usual.
Extract from THE NATURE DOCTOR by A Vogel
Did you know?
- A diet which consists of excessive starches, sugar and dairy can contribute to asthmatic attacks
- Fatty foods which are difficult to digest should also be avoided.
- Very big meals, which place a burden on the digestive tract, should be replaced with frequent small meals.
- Food intolerances to wheat and dairy products are often the main cause. Eliminate these foods from your diet for a few weeks to observe your response.
- Sensitivity to preservatives and colourants in foods should be suspected as contributory factors and avoided.
- Air pollution can cause irritation and inflammation of the airways. If possible get away from it to observe your reaction.
- Stress and its effects on the adrenal glands can often be the trigger which sets off an attack. Asthmatics do better under stressful situations when they guard against a yo-yo in their blood sugar levels.
- Toxicity of any kind, constipation, poor urine output, sluggish liver, can become the trigger for an attack. Proper elimination must be maintained.
- Suppressive or mismanaged previous bronchial disorders can become asthma.
- Spinal disorders such as those arising from accidents, falls and traumatic births, should be corrected through a chiropractor, to allow proper nerve function in all the vital organs.
- The after effects of inoculations which often causes eczema, which is then suppressed with steroid treatment, can result in asthma.
- Fearful, emotionally insecure people have a greater tendency to asthma.
- Asthma which is bad at the coast will often disappear if the patient moves inland. In the same way, asthma in dry climates often respond favourably if the patient moves to a damp climate.
What to do
- It is important to get proper diagnoses if you find you cannot breathe easily. Other possibilities such as obstructive airways disease and emphysema, or chronic bronchitis, needs to be ruled out for effective treatment to be started.
- Do not try to treat yourself! Asthma is a potentially dangerous situation. You need professional help.
- A change in diet to avoid the obvious mucous forming foods such as wheat, dairy, sugar, fruit juices, alcohol, coffee and tea would be needed. Remember that bananas and half ripe fruit will also encourage mucous to be discharged.
- See a chiropractor to ensure that your spine is in order. The connection between the nervous system, which is the spinal cord and all the body systems is a well known and accepted fact.
- Follow the dietary advice as found in the attached healthy eating plan. Eat small meals frequently through the day to maintain a steady blood sugar level.
- Find time to exercise. A regular time set aside daily for breathing exercises will strengthen the lungs and improve the flow of air through the lungs.
- Situations which frighten you or make you feel inadequate, need to be addressed. Find a counsellor to whom you can talk.
- Medication for asthma needs to be taken regularly. Become compliant for good results.
- Avoid going from very hot to very cold air, or the other way round.
- Remember, mucous is your foe. At the first sign of a post-nasal drip, or a bronchial mucous discharge, fast for a day while drinking a lot of water. In this way the mucous production can be shortcut preventing further problems.
- Find a homoeopath in your area to assist you with specific homoeopathic remedies. Asthma is well treated homoeopathically.
- A fun way to exercise the lungs is to blow up balloons!
Asthma is an acute or chronic inflammatory condition of the respiratory system. Excessive mucous production is often associated with this problem.
Asthma is potentially dangerous. Do not attempt to treat yourself or your family. Make use of a professionally trained homoeopath until the desired results are obtained.
Dietary changes will be of great help to prevent and to treat attacks. Asthmatics should avoid mucous forming foods, wheat, dairy, sugar, fruit juices.
Breathing exercises will assist the development and strengthening of weak lungs.
Never suppress eczema as it can easily develop into asthma, a far more serious condition than a skin eruption.
A Vogel’s Asthma Formula, Echinaforce and Urticalcin together with Bio-Strath Elixir, can be safely used to provide supportive treatment to more specific homoeopathic treatment by a homoeopath. The A Vogel remedies are safe for all ages.
Childhood asthma is often outgrown. However, adult asthma is not that easily resolved.
Relax, eat well, keep fit, take your medication regularly, see your homoeopath and your chiropractor for support and direction. Do not lose hope. Many people have overcome this problem.
There are some schools of thought which state that asthma and hypoglycaemia always runs together. If the patient is also nervous and anxious, asthmatic attacks could result even more. Think about this and adjust your lifestyle accordingly.
The homoeopathic view of asthma, hayfever and eczema lies within the hereditary tendencies of people. Some trigger sets this tendency off, usually inoculations or suppressive treatment of diseases. Consult a homoeopath to clear this possibility.
Naturopaths will find the solution to asthma in nutrition and supplementation. Please carefully read the information attached for a healthy eating plan.
Asthma Formula. Application U595 (Act/Wet 101/1965) contains -280 Ammi Visnaga D1, Cephaelis ipecacuanha D4, Aralia racemosa D2, Grindela robusta D2, Lobelia inflate D3, Drosera rotundifolia D1, Hedera helix D6, in equal parts. Alcohol content: 62% v/v.
Echinaforce Liquid. Application No. U613 (Act 101/1965), contains per 1.0g fresh Echinacea purpurea herb mother tincture 950 mg and fresh Echinacea purpurea root mother tincture 50 mg. Alchohol content 65% v/v.
Echinaforce Tablets. Each tablet contains 400 mg of concentrated Echinacea purpurea extract (herba 95% and radix 5%).
Echinaforce Junior Tablets. Each tablet contains 250 mg of concentrated Echinacea purpurea extract (herba 95% and radix 5%) equivalent to the active ingredients of 107 mg of fresh Echinacea purpurea plant.
Urticalcin Tablets. Application No. U959 (Act 101/1965). Each tablet contains Calcium carb. Hahnem. D4 0.50 mg, Calcium Phos D6 0.50 mg, Natrium phos D6 0.50 mg, Silicea D6 2.50 mg and Urtica D1 10.00 mg in a tablet base composed of lactose, potato starch and magnesium stearate.
Drosinula Cough Syrup. Application U610 (Act/Wet101/1965) contains Picea abies Ø 19,44%, Drosera rotundifolia Ø 2,2%, Hedera helix Ø 0,6%, in a base of pear concentrate, honey and unrefined sugar.
Circulation Formula. Application U892 (Act/Wet 101/1965) contains Veratrum album D4, Ginkgo biloba D2, Cactus grandiflorus D1, Ammi visnaga D1, Secale cornutum D6, Carbo vegetabilis D12
Boldocynara. Application No. U876 (Act 101/1965). Each 1 ml contains Cynara scolymus 421 mg, Silybum marianum 293 mg, Taraxacum off. 110 mg, Peumus boldus 64 mg and Mentha piperita 27 mg. Alcohol content 60% v/v.
Dr A. Vogel has written a book, The Nature Doctor, a highly recommended volume for every home. Virtually every condition known to mankind is dealt with in detail, in simple layman’s terms, covering hundreds of topics. His wealth of wisdom and knowledge makes this a valuable asset in every home. Should you wish to order a copy of this book, please do so through your pharmacy or health store.
All products are available from Pharmacies and Health Stores
For more information please contact:
SA Natural Products (Pty) Ltd
P.O. Box 2
Botha’s Hill, KZN, 3660
Customer Care lines:
Tel: 031 7838000
Fax : 031 7838080
This leaflet is not intended as a medical diagnosis, and in no way excludes the necessity of a diagnosis from a health practitioner. Its intent is solely informational and educational.
COUGHS AND COLDS
Do you suffer from?
• Sore throat
• Runny nose
• Watery eyes
• Dry cough
• Wet cough
• Post Nasal Drip
A Vogel’s Echinaforce herbal drops and tablets have a strong effect on the body’s defence mechanism. The immune system is enhanced by using Echinaforce herbal extract in quantities large enough to assist the body to fight off viral and bacterial infections.
A Vogel’s Cold Formula is a homoeopathic combination remedy suitable for the typical upper respiratory symptoms of a cold. It is particularly useful when the throat is scratchy, affecting the voice and for a post nasal drip. The extracts of Allium Cepa in this formula will rapidly clear, runny nose and watery eyes.
A Vogel’s Cough Formula is a homoeopathic combination remedy which is excellent for the treatment of coughs of all kinds, whether wet or dry. Quick relief is experienced with lasting results when using this safe cough formula which contains no antihistamines, making it suitable for babies and pregnant women.
A Vogel’s Drosinula Cough Syrup is a herbal remedy used to expel mucous from the lungs and upper respiratory area.
Some advice from Dr Vogel
Foods that build up resistance to colds:
Foods rich in calcium should be on your menu without fail. Eat carrots every day. Include kohlrabi (turnip cabbage) tops in your diet when they are in season; serve similar vegetables where kohlrabi is not grown. Celery leaves and roots (cleriac), white turnips, parsnips and the like are also good because of their high calcium content. So too are all kinds of fruits, nuts and seeds. Include plenty of figs, raisins, Brazil nuts, almonds, pecans and pine kernels in the diet. This diet will help you get through the difficult winter months with better health, until your own garden again produces fresh vegetables, herbs and berries rich in vitamins. As long as there is no snow it is possible to harvest parsley and watercress to meet the body’s needs for vitamins A and C. But if you live in a temperate climate, it would be a good idea to sow cress seeds in flower pots or little boxes and raise them on a sunny windowsill. If you sow cress at regular intervals, you will have a constant supply of this healthy vegetable throughout the vitamin-deficient winter months. Every little help we can get will be to our advantage. The importance of foods containing vitamins A and C cannot be overstressed.
Other remedies to build up resistance:
Much good may also be derived from taking natural remedies. Ideally suited for this purpose is Urticalcin, a natural calcium supplement of proven worth. To combat a susceptibility to catarrh and to alleviate colds, take Drosinula Cough Syrup.
As a prophylactic for the throat, use Echinaforce and Molkosan, since Echinacea extract counteracts infection and diluted whey used as a gargle disinfects the mouth and throat. If a throat infection is already under way, it is advisable to slowly swallow undiluted Molkosan to “paint” the throat. Also, apply Po-Ho Oil to the chest every day.
Some useful information:
• Colds should never be suppressed. Allow the body to do the elimination by resting, taking adequate fluids, keeping warm.
• Just about all ailments require the proper functioning of the bowels and kidneys. With the onset of a cold, take Linoforce granules to clean the bowel of accumulated wastes. Take A Vogel’s Nephrosolid Kidney Drops to stimulate kidney function, thereby eliminating toxicity from the blood.
• Avoid changes in temperature; rather stay in a well ventilated room at an even temperature.
• A Vogel’s Echinaforce has remarkable results when taken in the following way:
- 20ml, 2 hourly on the first day
- 20ml, 4 hourly on the second day
- 10ml, three times daily until fine.
This is the adult dosage. For children, half the dosage.
20 Drops taken daily, as lymphatic drainage remedy, will help to create a healthy system capable of dealing with viral and bacterial infections.
• Regular steaming with Thursday Plantation 100% Tea Tree Oil will help to clear mucous congestion from the sinus passages, reducing the risk of secondary bacterial infections.
• Thursday Plantation 100% Tea Tree Oil can also be used as a general air purifier by burning it in aromatherapy burners in the home. Overseas travellers use Thursday Plantation 100% Tea Tree Oil on paper tissues as an inhalant to protect themselves from viral and bacterial infections on aircrafts.
• Naturopathically, the value of a good cold is appreciated. It is never regarded as an illness, but as a necessary cleansing done by the body. A cold is your friend, not your foe. People who say that they never get a cold, are probably too toxic to produce the symptoms of elimination which we call a cold. The A Vogel remedies for colds bear this factor in mind and are thus also cleansing remedies.
• Mucous discharge by the body is an elimination process. At a time of discharge, it is sensible to avoid foods which will add to the mucous load in the body, notably, dairy products, refined wheat products, coffee, tea, alcohol, sugar, fruit juices, cigarette smoking. Mucous discharges which are suppressed or “dried up” will return again and again becoming chronic conditions of bronchitis, sinusitis, etc.
Did you know?
- To develop a healthy and strong immune system is a daily effort. Reduce the intake of refined, starchy foods, fast foods, fried foods and sugar-laden foods. Give up the habit of smoking. Introduce green, leafy vegetables into your daily diet. An immune system cannot be built just for winter! It is for every day.
- The regular washing of hands can help to prevent the spread of viral and bacterial infections.
- Be careful not to touch your face with your hands as this is how you will spread the infection to yourself.
- Coughs are self-limiting reactions in the body. If a cough lingers, with a feeling of exhaustion and weight loss, please consult a professional person.
- Do not suppress the cough. The reflex is to rid the airways of phlegm or other minute particles. However, a person suffering from heart disease could find it exhausting to constantly cough and should therefore be treated with this in mind.
- Coughs will generally calm down in a room where the air is moist and warm. Avoid cold, dry air in rooms, or warm/hot dry air in rooms. A humidifier works wonders – invest in one!
- Croup is an acute inflammatory condition of the pharynx and is extremely dangerous. It usually attacks in the middle of the night when the air is cold and dry. Boys are more susceptible than girls. Steaming will help to relieve the attack, but professional help should be sought immediately.
- Whooping Cough is a viral condition which is known by its characteristic cough. It can be most debilitating and exhausting. Most children are inoculated against this disease which can mask the real symptoms later in life. Whooping cough is also known as the 3 months cough, as it generally takes about that length of time to clear up. Specific homoeopathic treatment is very effective when dealing with whooping cough. A professional person needs to be consulted. A Vogel’s Echinaforce should be given to strengthen the immune function to fight this virus. A Vogel’s calcium preparation, Urticalcin, is always indicated when diseases of the lungs are in progress. This is also applicable to asthmatic conditions.
- Post-nasal drip indicates a condition where mucous drips down the back of the throat, causing irritation to the upper-respiratory tract, resulting in a constant attempt to clear the throat of this mucous. Post nasal drip should be seen in the same light as mucous discharges resulting from some irritation. This can mean an external irritation of pollution or pollen, or an internal irritation due to poor digestion or excessive consumption of mucous forming foods as mentioned before. A Vogel’s Sinuforce Drops and Spray have often been useful to clear this irritating discharge in conjunction with added internal and external measures to reduce and eliminate production.
- Nervous Coughs: Many people cough when they feel anxious or uncertain. A Vogel’s Neuroforce and Hyperiforce will help these people to regain their mental and emotional strength. A good tip is to slow down the breathing while concentrating on each breath. This is a wonderful way to bring calm to nervous chaos.
Colds are a necessary part of living a healthy life. Do not suppress the symptoms. Keep quiet, keep warm, take in warm fluids, clear the bowel, stimulate the kidneys. Coughs have many different reasons. Generally, coughing is a reflex to clear the airways from phlegm or other small particles. A cough with no explanation of origin, with weight loss or sweating, must be seen by a professional person. Remember to keep the air in the house warm and moist.
Dr A Vogel’s useful remedies to assist with coughs and colds are:
Echinaforce tabs or drops
Cold Formula drops
Cough Formula drops
Drosinula Cough Syrup
And of course Thursday Plantation 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil
All products are available from Pharmacies and Health Stores
For more information please contact:
SA Natural Products (Pty) Ltd
P O Box 2
Botha’s Hill, KZN, 3660
Customer Care lines:
Tel: 031 7838000
Fax: 031 7838080
This leaflet is not intended as a medical diagnosis, and in no way excludes the necessity of a diagnoses from a health practitioner. Its intent is solely informational and educational.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.