Question
Posted by: Shelby | 2008/01/23

persistant thrush

Dear Doc
I am 36 years old. I am married but do not have an active sex life. I have had a hysterectomy in 2001. My problem is that i have persistent thrush. I suffer with severe itching and discharge almost everyday and maybe a break of a day or two here and there. I am not diabetic although i do have a low glucose level and a high insulin level. I take anit-depressants daily. I do not have a low sexual drive. My lack of sex is due to my husband preferences. i use canestan or any other fungal treatment regularly. i do not eat mushrooms or bread or any yeast products. I am at my wits end with this persistant thrush. i have had it for many years but recently it is really bothering me a lot. I wear pure cotton underwear. I do not use bubblebaths or anything in my bath water other than white soap. What can be my problem.

Have a look at the Top 5 questions. Maya's suggestions may also help.

1
Posted by: Maya | 2008/01/24

I suffered with persistent thrush for 2 yrs until finally I tried the following:

Take a probiotic daily (I used combiforte, it's kept in the fridge).
Try using culturelle vaginal capsules. They are a vaginal probiotic that restores the good vaginal flora.
Ask your doc for a script for Diflucan, 1 capsule to be taken each day for 3 days.

Hope you find relief soon:)

Reply to Maya