Question
Posted by: Christelle | 2007/06/25

Persistant Cough due to Allergies

I have had a persistant cough with phlegm for almost five years. I have been to a homeopath who diagnosed several allergic reactions (bread, yoghurt, oats). Can you recommend a specialist I can consult (northern Johannesburg) for advice. Even after leaving the above out of my diet, the coughing still persists.

Dear Christelle
Have you had a proper lung examination with lung functiontests and X/rays? - one should just also exclude things like chronic bronchitis, asthma or obstructive lung disease. This can even be a sign of slight heart failure. I think you should see a pulmonologist - see on easyinfo.co.za under medical for one near you.

1
Posted by: Christelle | 2007/06/25

I was in hospital last year for 3 days due to my cough. During this time the above tests were carried out and no adverse indications were found. Blood tests carried out showed I have a very high allergy tendency, hence more tests and the result that I have the allergies listed above. Is there anything I can do to stop the cough or do I have to live with this and take cough medicine to relieve the symptoms? Would an allergy specialist help, and if so can you recommend one?

Reply to Christelle