Question
Posted by: CR | 2003/02/07

Perscription Question- Quite URGENT

Hi Doc,
About 5 months ago i went to see a gynae some possible hormone treatment for my acne. I was already on Diane 35 which wasnt helping as well as it should. The Doc gave a 5 month course of Androcur, and advised me to take it with Diane 35. It has made quite a difference, and my skin is much better. I have come to the end of my 5 months, so i want to know if i should carry on with another 5 months of Androcur (is it meant to be taken/can i take it over/for a longer period) because it has worked so well, OR must i just carry on with Diane 35 (because its other purpose to me is the contraceptive property) only and accept that the Androcur has done its treatment??? Please help me, as i dont want to go back to that Doctor unecessarily. I would rather ask my GP to give me perscription for more Diane and Androcur if poss (And are GPs allowed to write out perscriptions like this, for something that i know i need but that specific Dr hasnt treated me for?) thanks alot.

CR, with a bit of luck you won’t have to take the Andocur® anymore. Carry on with the Diane® and see what happens. If the acne start coming back, you can ask your GP for another 6 month’s Androcur®. Good luck.