Question
Posted by: M | 2004/01/09

perpetual period problems

hi there, im a nineteen year old female, who is not sexually active, but have been experiencing problems with my periods for the past two years.

my periods can at times last for a month or over. sometime i skip a month, but will never fail to have it the next month.my periods have their stages. at first, it starts off with a heavy, very wet, but clear and scent less discharge, which lasts for about a week. it is then followed by a "spotting period" where i have a thick darkish discharge that almost lookslike blood, but is alot darker, and thicker, this spotting usually lasts for a week before i get my full period. i then bleed for about 3weeks solid, the usual blood type however at times, i do clot heavily.

i am concerned, as i dont knwo what the reason could be, i am obese, could this be a problem? i havent been on the pill, havent taken any hormonal treatments,a nd the only medcation i have taken to decrease the flow of the period is cylcocaprine capsuals, 4at first and then two at a time during the day.

could you perhaps please advise me as to what i should do. if i were to consult a gynea would he/she be compelled to conduct an internal examination? im a bit worried about that as my hymen is still in tact, and dont wish to experience any pain, or have it broken.

yours sincerely, M

Probably what is happening is that you are not ovulating. This may be related to your obesity. You should see a gynaecologist. You will not need to be examined if you do not wish to. An ultrasound can be done to check the uterus and ovaries.