Question
Posted by: Mercyful | 2004/10/18

Permanent vs Contract

Hi Guys

I really need your advice hear, I am permanently employed, married with two kids (6yrs & 1 yr), my issue is that the company I am presently at is paying me far less that they pay my colleagues, I have been to my manager, HR and complain and ask for a raise I was promised that I will get it after the restructuring, not written only by mouth, that was 6 months ago, I approached them again last month after the restucturing but till now nothing is happening,

They have hired two more people 3 months ago and paying them 3 times my salary, but nothing is coming my way, I have stopped asking cause I think I am now becoming a nag.

My issue is that I have been made an offer which is twice my salary, but its not permanent its a years contract with the posibility of becoming permanent. I am confused I really do know what to do cause I think this is such a big risk, I am also in a divorce process.

I a so confused. I am thinking this will be a big brek for me financially if I take it, but then what happens after a year if they do not renew or give me a permanent post, I am saying life is all about risks but I am stuck dont know waht to do

Please advise, I need to decide before end of this week

Hi Mercyful,
With the new offer, can they tell you on what terms or conditions the 1-year temporary contract would become permanent ? WOuldn't it be wise to discuss your situation also with the Dept of Labour or a labour lawyer ? Zee's comments make a lot of success, including the suggestion to research the company properly

2
Posted by: Bull | 2004/10/18

Perhaps you must take the risk (BIGGGGGG ONE) and maby the company you work for now will wake up and offer you more money than this new deal and then it would not be necessary for you to leave.

But if they don't make a effort to try and keep you, at least then you have another job and you then also know that you don't mean anything to the company.

Good luck.

Reply to Bull
Posted by: Zee | 2004/10/18

If I were u I would go for it. It also depends on what u are looking for in a job. Dont only look for finances, but do a research on the work environment,work commitments,are the people happy. Check what you need to do to be re employed after 1 year.If those things are the things you feel you are happy with then take it.

I know its frustrating to work for a company that pays less, but If I had to get a breakthrough like that I would take a risk.

Other factors to take into account when looking for another job after 1 yr is 1. the age 2. Experience 3.Qualifications.
If you pass these three, even if they dont retain you u ll get another job after 1 yr without a problem.

Reply to Zee