Question
Posted by: Sabine | 2004/12/19

Peristent excruciating Headache, lasting 10 days

I always suffered from migraines, especially when immigrating to JHB from Germany 7 years ago ( I guess the change of altitude brought it on). However, the migraines were usually bearable, and I typically just have to take 1-2 Dispirin once I see stars (Aura) before the onset of one-sided, throbbing pain. That usually keeps the migraines at bay, and I can continue to work. I get extremly tired, though.

Now I am having severe, one-sided, throbbing headaches around my right eye for the past 10 days- every day. My eyes are itchy, which is a sign of cluster headaches, but cluster headaches are not supposed to last 10 days! I do feel better if I take 1-2 Dispirin, but I try not to take them every day. I am nauseous, and very tired. I am not feeling sick otherwise (flu, cold). I do wake up in the middle of the night due to pain and nausea. Taking Dispirins starts to affect my stomach, and my hands start to shake.

Is it something more serious than migraine, or could it still be migraine? Is there any way I could find out?

My GP is on leave for the holidays - shall I go to a specialist right away? If so, can you recommend someone (JHB Northern Suburbs, if possible)?

Many thanks!

Sabine, it might still be a migraine or a cluster headache, but it might also be due to a sinus or eye problem. The best would be to see your doctor/neurologist and have it sorted out before it ruins your Christmas. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Sabine | 2004/12/21

Thanks, went to see someone today, seems to be an inflammed sinus (the one above and behind the eye... I didn't even knew you had one there!)

Reply to Sabine