Question
Posted by: dizzyman | 2008/05/27

Peripheral Vestibular Disorder and leave

I wonder if you can give me some advice. I am a 30 year old male who has presented with dizziness, balance issues for the past 8 years. After undergoing tests for everything possible i finally had a balance test and the findings showed i have a left peripheral vestibular dysfunction of 45%. In combination with this i suffer from anxiety and seem to find my symptoms go hand in hand with each other.

I have been for physiotherapy rehabilatation which marginally helped and have found that taking a daily dose of fluoxetine has helped my problem. However i am still battling with this condition and find it increasingly more and more difficult to do my job. I am a surgical rep and spend a lot of time in theatre and hosptals. I have found that lifts, neon lights trigger my balance disorder and thus have a hard time on a daily basis.

My question to you is that currently i am taking leave on and off from work, but feel it is unfair on my employer. They don't quite understand my issue as i am not lying in a bed or a hospital, and on the face of it don't seem to be sick. I want to know what rights i have in terms of taking permanent leave from my job or alternativeley requesting a different position in my company, one that doesnt entail theatres and hospitals.

Please advise me

Many Thanks

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you either make an appointment with your Human Resources Manager and to discuss your condition with him or her. You can also provide them with medical reports obtained from your doctor. If you have no success with your HR manager, you should make an appointment with a labour lawyer, in order to get the correct guidelines regarding your rights.

Kind regards