Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2008/05/20

Periods and pregnancy

Dear Doctor,
Thanks for such a useful, informative service!

I wonder if you could explain to me bleeding during pregnancy. I've heard of people who find out they're pregnant but have had at least one period since the 'diagnosed' time of conception. Is this possible first of all. And if bleeding can occur, I assume its not a period, but then what is it? And would it feel like a period (i.e. period pain and volume of blood etc) and occur at the period appropriate time necessarily?

Thanks very much, I would find your reply extremely interesting.

Mel T

Dear Mel T
When the fertilated ovum attaches to the uterus wall it can cause a slight bleed called an implantation bleeding - this usually happens 6-12 days after ovulation. It is usually a slight bleed for 24 hours and may cause slight cramping. A heavier bleeding that goes on for a few days may be normal menstruation or a possible natural abortion.