Question
Posted by: robar | 2007/08/15

Periods

I have 2 questions:

1) If a woman (mid-50's) suddenly starts to have one day periods, is that normal - it has happened twice now. She had a total hysterectomy 10 years ago and is not on any HRT. Her friend told her it may be cancer.

2) I had a baby in December 2006 and went onto the three month injection and for the last two months (after intercourse) I start spotting. When I was on the two month injection that hardly happened at all. I have been on the 2 month for 6 years and the 3 month inj for 8 months. I did have the 6 week check up with Gynae, but when should I get worried about the spotting? I am not under any stress.

Thanks for any help.

1.If she has had a hysterectomy, the bleeding must be coming from the vagina. A common cause for this would be lack of hormones causing thinning of the vagina. Obviously more serious causes like cancer have to be excluded.
2. If you have had a normal pap smear in the last year, this is probably hormonal. Some women do have spotting on the injection.