Question
Posted by: Diana | 2007/04/24

Periods

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to have what appears to be a period in the firts month of pregnancy. I am worried because, although my boyfriend and i have always taken loads of precautions (pill and condom), due largely to the fact that I was on antibiotics, we did have one encounter this past month that is of concern to me. I am now bleeding, and experiencing period pain. However, I have heard of people not realising they were pregnant because they seemed to have a period in the first month. Is this possible? and would i be getting pain etc if this was the case?

thanks.
Diana

Dear Diana
some people can see a slight bleed in the first month of pregnancy called an implantation bleed. If the bleed looks like a normal period it probably is. You can take a pregnancy test 1 week after the start of the bleed just to confirm.