Question
Posted by: nelisa | 2007/03/03

periods

im 21&for the past six mnths have been having problems with my period and am not pregnent.went on the yasmin in dec bt onli took them for two weeks.when i stopped taking them my period arrived bt that was december and i havent heard from it eva since? What could the the problem be with me coz my doctors keeps doining pregenancy tests and saying it may be due to stress bt that doesnt explain my problem especially since im sexually active bt nothing hapens to me, am i INFERTILE AT 21??? HELP

Dear Nelisa

The symptoms that you described are in keeping with ovulatory dysfunction and hormone imbalance. One should seriously consider polycystic ovaries as a diagnosis. I suggest you visit a gynaecologist for a full hormone profile and pelvic ultrasound scanning. Should fertility be desired than it might be necessary to induce ovulation by means of tablets or a combination of injections and tablets depending on the extent of the problem.
Very rarely, ovarian failure can occur even at this early age and hence I would stress the urgency of the gynaecological visit.