Question
Posted by: Buffs | 2005/06/08

Periodontal Disease??

I took one of my babys to the vet yesterday as she has lost quite a bit of weight and i thought she might have worms. He said she has Periodontal disease and he said he needed to clean the ulcers in her motuh immediatly. He gave her anesthetic and cleaned her mouth. But he didnt give her a Preanesthetic. Today she is wobbly when she walks. Im so worried about her im at work but i just cant concentrate thinking about what she might be doing right now. She did eat breakfast this morning and last night she tried to play with my other cats but kept falling over. Im wodering what can be done to prevent this disease? What is it exactly? how did she get it? How didnt i notice she had it? what are the chances my other babys have it??

He gave me a gel to use on her and this morning the whole family got some, (i didnt think it would hurt them to have a little).

Am i a terrible mother to let my baby get so sick with out realising it??

I feel so bad!!

Periodontal disease is inflammation of the gums and problems with the teeth that can result in ulcers and severe generalised inflammation of the mouth. Since it is hidden in the mouth you may have not noticed anything other than possibly foul smelling breath. It is very common in older cats. Part of the annual examination during the vaccinations by the vet should include an oral examination to check for this type of problem. Occasionally it can get so bad that the patient can loose its appetite becauase of discomfort. It can also act as a port for bacteriae to enter the body. Very often multiple extractions may be necessary.

The drowsiness is probably related to the type of anaesthetic used, but if it persists please let your vet know.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town