Question

Period & Pregnant

Hi Doctor

I am about six weeks pregnant and since finding out I have had a light browny pink discharge/spotting - mainly when I went to the loo. A few days ago the spotting turned to a thick almost black discharge. I was so sure I was miscarring and very scared. I went straight to my gynae who did a scan and for the first time we heard a tiny little heart beat and my gynae was not worried about the baby he said in two weeks the heart will be stronger and the blurry spot more defined. I was so happy. He said the bleeding was an old period that had not come away and I should not worry too much but must take it easy and not exert myself too much. I am still worried though because when "diagnosing" myself on the net, I see most miscarriages start off with brown spotting. My nausea seems to be settling and my breasts are not so tender - I am still so worried. What do you think about this? Can you advise?
Thank you.

I think that this is a threatened miscarriage. More than 85% of these will settle down and continue normally. Try to rest and avoid intercourse.

1
Posted by: M | 2007/03/25

I can imagine your worry. Please bear in mind that once there is a heartbeat the chance of miscarriaege is greatly reduced. Brown spotting is normal for some women, it's the bright red blood that you should be more concerned about especially if it is with pain as well. Try stay +

Reply to M