Question
Posted by: Conerned | 2007/03/27

Period Pains

A junior member of our staff takes one day off each month due to crippling period pains - the sympathies of the "powers that be" are running a bit thin and I've agreed to address this issue. She is not on the pill and I'd like to be able to suggest which painkillers she can take or which options she should pursue. She is obviously "regular" as our records reflect the monthly absenteeism. I have no doubt whatsoever that her pain is acute because she can hardly stand up straight when it comes. She is only 20 years old and has been sexually active in a committed relationship for about 3 years.

Dear Concerned
Ask her to make an appointment with a gyne - doing a "stretch" (dilatation) of the cervix sometimes do wonders! Alternatives would be to take the 3 month depot injection/contraceptive pill and using something like Synflex for the pain.