Question
Posted by: Unsure | 2003/03/11

Period late - not pregnant

My period is 4 days late. Yesterday I did a home pregnancy test and a blood test, both of which were negative. However, I am not having any PMS (which I usually suffer from terribly). I also have no pregnancy symptoms, thought I know it would be too early to be experiencing any.
I saw my gynae about 3 weeks ago, and he said that everything looked fine, and gave me an idea of when I would be ovulating when to expect my next period.

The reason I am concerned is because I recently had an ectopic pregnancy,and have had one normal cycle since then, and now that my husband and I are trying to conceive again, my gynae said that as soon as I am about 2 days late I need to do a quantitative test so that another ectopic pregnancy will be picked up early. The blood test I did yesterday was not a quantitative test, as the gynae's receptionist said to only ask for a quantitative test if the test was positive.

Could there be some other reason that my period is not showing any sign of arriving soon? I'm not going through any bad stress at the moment, and am eating healthily, as I usually do. Should I just wait another 3 or 4 days and do another test? or would the blood test be 100% accurate this early? Should I have asked for a quantitative beta test regardless?

If the blood test was negative, you are not pregnant. There was no need for a quantitative test if the qualitative one was negative. If you have only had one normal cycle since the ectopic pregnancy, you may still be readjusting you cycle. The most likely reason is that you have not ovulated in this cycle, or have ovulated late. I think you should wait and see what happens in the next few days.