Question
Posted by: Tina | 2005/11/29

Performance appraisals

My boss has the ultimate poker-face. I know that I rated good on everything on my performance appraisal, excellent on one. The thing is that I haven't been here very long and I have no yardstick to compare it to. Companies use appraisals for different reasons. Some use it as an excuse to give mediocre raises with little basis in fact and reality. I've been in one of these companies. Another company I worked with used it as a means to justify excellent incentive bonusesses to the shareholders. The mediocre raise was a matter of form ;)

I guess I just need a reasonable raise. When I changed jobs, I didn't change for a higher salary, but they might use it as an excuse not to give me a normal raise. "But we started you on a high salary already" -type thing. Better to find out early what kind of company I work for in this way I guess.

,,,,,

4
Posted by: Dude | 2005/11/29

iz don care ow non feminist eez sounin But w I f uz need a yard sick ma maxie aint Got NOne an eez eez realy reliaBle ..

mos People in em workin places OO really excel r Normally bAbes, don uz thiNk that look I n good might ave jus as much weight as uz performance a pray zol

Reply to Dude
Posted by: lady nina | 2005/11/29

hi there

i think you should budget on a 5-8% increase every year
i thunk they just play games with us - they know damn well we pay for their lany lifestyles and things

take care nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Purple | 2005/11/29

Its not usual to rate someone until they have been in the job for 6 months. Also, the PA discussion should not tell you anything new - things should have been discusssed in the normal course of things anyway. You should also always go to the PA armed with proof of your accomplishments etc during the period under review.

If you are new with a company and still on probation, they should hold regular performance discussions with you - even if these are very informal.

Our company gives across the board increases which are negotiated by our unions. Our PA is for performance bonus reasons only. Our salary is not performance based, and its really demotivating, as if someone is the same age and has the same experience as you and you do the same job you earn the same - even if your performance leaves them in the dust. However, our performance bonuses are quite amazing! Sadly, it looks like we aren't getting next year - or that they will be very small.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: .... | 2005/11/29

did research on performance appraisals.

all i can say it is a thorny area. controversial and less popular hr function

but if you feel that you have performed and you deserve a better rating or raise, do not consider the fact that you're new. just go right ahead to negotiate what you feel you deserve. sometimes people perform wondes in a short period of stay at an organisation. must they be unfairly prejudiced based on the fact that they are new to the organisation. No. unless the policy says that you qualify for a full performance bonus if you were with the company before a particular date in a year otherwise you get a pro-rata.

look at the PA/PM policy of your employer organisation. Good luck

Reply to ....