Question
Posted by: Jasmine | 2003/12/05

Perceptions of habits

I am by nature a placid and easygoing type of person. What does however, test my tolerance level is the following statement....." so and so is a good person, they dont drink or smoke..."
Now, what I would like to know is, is a person who smokes a bad person?
I have met plenty of people who don't drink or smoke AT ALL. A simple matter of choice - I respect that. But some of these people have foul mouths, abuse their women, lie and are dishonest.

BUT HEY, they don't smoke - so like are they good?

What an ignorant society we live in......

jasmine, it's irresistable to suspect that you may be a smoker ? Not smoking is sensible from the point of view of one's own health and that of anyone in close contact with you, so it is a more virtuous behaviour than smoking. But it doesn't of course excuse any other sort of bad or selfish behavior. Some very nasty people indeed, happen not to smoke, and that doesn't make them any the better as people. But if you're not a Saddam Hussain or a german Cannibal, not smoking does improve your virtue score, surely ?