Question
Posted by: Mel | 2007/11/28

penicilin reaction

what symptoms do you get if you are allergic to penicillin or have a reaction to it?
my 13mth old son recently had a very high fever and at the hospital thought it was an ear infection so they gave him moxypen. After 2 doses of this and we went back home, my son developed strange dry patches on his skin and a shiny red round blister about the size of a R5 coin on his forehead. He also had a febrile convulsion from the fever shortly thereafter so we went back to the hospital where they said he possibly might be allergic to the penicilin and changed his antibiotics to something else. After the change in meds the 'blister' dried out, lost the bright red colour and faded away.
Turns out the fever was due to roseola infantum not an ear infection so he didnt need the antibiotics anyway, but my gp said he does not think he is actually allergic to the penicillin.

He currently has croup and he wanted to prescribe penicillin but thought better safe than sorry to give him something else instead. Was it possibly a misdiagnosis or could he really be allergic to penicillin. (this was the 1st and only time he has had it before)

Dear Mel
Penisillen allergy is actually the one thing they can test for - ask your doctor to organize this for you. Normal symptoms with penisillen allergy is rash, swelling, shortness of breath. However in some cases one can get blistering and red spots called erythema nodosum too.