Question
Posted by: Micky | 2004/01/15

Pelvic Inflammatory or irritable bowel

I had a miscarriage in September and a D&C. Since then my cycles are 40 to 45 days and I always have 5 days of light spotting before they start propertly and then I have an average flow of about 7 days. I had a scan in November which showed follicles maturing so assume I am ovulating although my cycle is long. What I noticed lately though is that for at least 2 weeks before my period I start getting intermittent pains which are sharp and sometimes crampy in my abdomen in different spots and lower pelvis and also get a persistent lower back pain some days. They aren't unbearable but I do notice them. I also have difficulty passing stools which seem to be small and hard and sometimes have mucus in them. Also slight nausea somedays. I'm not sure what to think because some of the symptoms make me think it might be a pelvic inflammatory disease ( how common is this ? ) or maybe just a case of irritable bowel. My vaginal discharge is normal except for the occassional bout of Thrush. I can't remeber having any of these symptoms once my period starts so does seem to be premenstrual. What should I do?

It is normal to have irregular periods for a couple of months after a D&C. The symptoms you describe seem like PMS. Perhaps you were on contraception before? This tends to decrease PMS symptoms. If the irregular period persist, you should see your gynaecologist.