Question
Posted by: DS | 2004/10/08

Pelvic floor exercises

Hi, I am not familiar with the names of all the yoga positions but what yoga exercises would you recommend for the pelvic floor.

Expert ImageYoga

Hi DS - the best suggestion I can make in this regard is the engagement of the internal muscular locks or "bhandas" as they are known. The root lock is the tightening of the perineum muscle (between the anus and genitals), pulling it up. Then the abdominal lock - the oblique abdominal muscles coming from underneath the ribs down into the navel - centered about 3 finger-widths below the waistline. The combination of the two locks the pelvic floor and builds core (deep) strength, providing stability and power. Try and focus on engaging these locks as you practice the postures.
Good luck.
Chris