Question
Posted by: Odette | 2006/08/01

Pelvic and lower back pain

I stopped taking the pill 21 July. On 24 July, I started my period. It was unusually heavy the first day and then it was basically over. Yesterday, 31 July, I woke up with pains typical to what I experienced during menstruation. A dull aching in my pelvic area that goes into my lower back and hips. I lasted the whole day, and this morning it was still there, but now only on the right side. It is not very bad, and I took a Grand-Pa (it is all I had) which took it away. What could be the reason for the pain? It doesn't make sense that it could be ovulation, as it is only a week after day one of my cycle?

Dear Odette

It appears that the pain could be related to an ovarian cyst. This is all the more likely in light of the fact that your last period only lasted for one day. I would suggest that you have a pelvic ultrasound done as soon as possible.