Posted by: Chris | 2012/11/21

Peke problem

I have 2 mini Pekingese (1 and a half years and 1 year old). Granted the first one was somewhat spoilt with attention and since we got the second one (who is very loving and calm) there has been a lot of fighting. I am very worried that they lose an eye or get seriously hurt as it gets quite out of hand. My question is, would having them fixed perhaps solve the problem as I have been told that the hormonal impact makes them less aggressive?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Chris, without a lot more background it really is difficult to say. Sterilization normally helps to reduce reactive behaviour, put it can take between 6-12 weeks for hormonal levels to adjust and then there are no guarantees.
A lot will also depend on the sex of the dogs. In males it is often sorted out a lot easier than with females. On average two females should never be kept together, especially if not sterilized. What happens so often is that dogs are fine together till about 6-9 months (depending on breed and dog) and then the adolescent period kicks in and two dogs that were best friends can start fighting seemingly overnight (although there are signs that an owner may not pick up on that trouble is brewing.
Sterilizing dogs is only responsible dog ownership and helps to lower the stress levels, improves bonding and cuts down (and out) on a lot of cancers that intact dogs are prone too.
You also need to raise yourself in the combine human/canine pack structure to be able to prevent reactive behaviour from happening.
All reactive behaviour MUST be seen by a professional - to try and give you assistance by email is a bit like me trying to teach you to scuba dive by correspondence - dangerous!
What you can start doing to raise yourself up in the hierarchy is read through the link to the article below on House Rules and start brining them in.
You need in-house help and as soon as possible to make sure this situation does not get worse. Please get in touch with me at with where you live and I will put you in touch with a qualified behaviourist. Link to article to get started is

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.