Question
Posted by: T | 2007/12/11

Peeling fingernails

Hi. I am hoping that someone can help me. I never use to have this problem. My nails always use to be hard and strong, yet for the past couple of months they have been peeling, asthough there is an extra layer on them or something. What is causing this and is there anything i can use to stop and prevent this. Thank you for your time!

Dear T
The medical term for this is Onychoschizia. It is sometimes caused by loss of natural oils of the fingernail when working with harsh cleaning agents, or with repeating wetting and drying of the nail. Cutex removers can also be a culprit. Medical causes can be iron shortage but rarely is a vitamin shortage the cause, although Biotin vitamin supplement may help. Try using a cuticle oil and wearing plastic gloves when working in water.