Question
Posted by: Helen | 2003/03/18

Peeling feet and hands

Please could you tell me what could be my deficiency if my feet (mostly) have big patches of dry skin - as if there once was a large blister in place. It occurs mostly on the side of my feet or in the insteps. Large pieces of skin come off -or I pull it off - nice clean, tough skin - happy to come off!
Sometimes it occurs on my hands but this is more like an eczema - getting reddish and raw at time - mostly on my index fingers - and then depending - the whole hand.

talking of skin - what do you recommend for Herpes simplex I - on the right hand side of the bottom lip only. Had it present for a number of years and I pick it often especially when I eat something salty. The blisters puff up and so I pick the skin off.
I am a born 'picker'! Help!

Helen, it sounds like you might have a superficial fungal infection or a form of eczema called “dyshidrotic” eczema. The best would be to see a dermatologist and have it sorted out.
You can use a cream like Zovirax® or Activir® on your lips. You can also ask your pharmacist for an amino acid called l-lysine. It’s cheap and works wonders. Good luck.