Question
Posted by: Kate | 2005/01/04

pear shaped

Hi. I'm tyring to lose a bit of weight around my hips, thighs and stomach. I weigh 50kg, 1.57m tall, 23 years old. I have a thin upper body and small breasts which get smaller as soon as I lose a bit of weight. I just want to get myself a bit more proportioned. I cycle on the stationery bike every day for 15 mins and get roughly 1600 calories each day. What excersises would be best to get rid of my love handles? I also tend to bulk up a lot on my upper legs. how can I slim them down a little without getting bulky muscles?
Please advise

Hi Kate

I think that there are a couple of important points here. The first deals with diet - I am not a fan of calorie counting. It's too inaccurate, only complicates matters and creates frustration, because your body is too clever to be duped into weight loss by trying to count calories. Also, 1600 a day is very low. if this is accurate, then my advice is to really get your intake up quite a bit - the bottom limit is usually about 2000. It may take some diet changes, and for this i would suggest seeing a dietician.

now, as for exercise, the problem is that you can't just aim for weight loss on the hips and thighs, unfortunately. It happens all over, as you have found out in the past. My advice then is to keep going with the exercise, increase the calorie intake (so that you don't lose weight drastically, like perhaps you have seen before) and then add to your normal exercise some toning work. The most important is without a doubt cardiovascular, and i hope that you will be able to increase your time per day up to about 30 minutes at least. The toning is important because that is what will help create the appearance of definition and hence the flat stomach, toned thighs etc. i do think that you need to give it more time though, and spend at least 6 months on a programme before deciding that it is not going OK for you. it seems like you are on the right track (perhaps replace cycling with something like running, or spinning classes, though), but just need to keep at it longer.