Question
Posted by: None | 2004/11/10

Peanuts

My 15 month old baby is allergic to peanuts I have done some research and one thing mentioned to avoid is hydrolysed vegetable protein, is this the same as hydrogenerated vegatble fat or not. I am asking this as I have noticed that this is quiet common in alot of products. Is there any other foods that I should avoid giving her that is related to the peanut allergy?

Dear None
I am sorry to hear that your baby has a peanut allergy. Hydrolysed vegetable protein differs from hydrogenated vegetable fat because the former is usually a processed form of soya, (which can give so-called cross-reactivity with peanut allergy) while the latter is produced by hydrogenating (saturating some of the unsaturated fatty acids so that the liquid oil becomes more solid, e.g. margarine) oils to produce fats which are either sold as margarine or used in cooking and food processing. You can certainly give your baby products that contain hydrogenated vegetables fats, margarine and oils such as sunflower or olive oil. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' and read the articles on 'Peanut allergy' and subjects such as 'Eating out', etc for more information.

2
Posted by: None | 2004/11/23

She first had a major break out and i took her to the doctor and she ate a nut later again and then that is when i realised that she is allergic to peanuts, I have consulted with my paediterian and according to her a formal test can be done via a blood test.

Reply to None
Posted by: bibi | 2004/11/10

Pls help me by telling me how you found out re this allergy, did she eat it and react/did you do tests? i suspect my 15 month old daughter is also allergic to nuts but the doctors keep saying she is too young to be tested for any allergy? does your child have allergies to any other foods? I sympathise with you because i also read up on the nut allergy - scary. Good luck. From another worried mom!

Reply to bibi