Question
Posted by: karen | 2008/01/04

Peanut-induced goiter?

I have been eating a few handfuls of peanuts and soy for the past 2-3 weeks....iodine intake was very low I suppose (50mcg from breakfast cereal), and now have a goiter, although I do not have any hypothyroid symptoms.

I have read that peanuts and soy "goitrogens" can induce goiter in an iodine-deficient diet, however it did not state if the thyroid gland would shrink to normal size after cessation of soy and peanut intake.

i've stopped eating peanuts+soy but will my thyroid ever return to it's normal size again?

I have a slight sensation of it pressing against my esophagus when swallowing.

Dear Karen
It is important that you have a medical examination immediately because the dr will have to determine, a) if you have a goitre, b) if this goitre is causing hypothyroidism, c) if your thyroid gland is otherwise normal (no growths). I doubt that you would have developed a full-blown goitre just by eating peanuts and soy for 3 weeks - the type of goitre that develops in some people due to the anti-thyroid effect of legumes takes a long time to emerge and is usually associated with eating these foods as staples in the diet. In addition, all table salt in SA is fortified with iodine to prevent the development of iodine deficiency goiters, so you may have been ingesting more iodine than you think. Your dr will advise if you need to take thyroid hormone tablets to rectify the matter.